Welcome to St. Gabriel Church's web site. We hope this web site provides you with information about who we are and how we carry out the mission of Jesus. Click buttons on left or links below. God bless you !
Office hours: Monday through Thursday 9 AM - 1 PM
Phone 203-877-6096 (Go to the "Contact Us" button on the left.
For Catholic focus, perspectives, interviews, world news, newsletters, words of the Pope, prayer requests, tv programs click www.saltandlighttv.com
St. Gabriel Church
26 Broadway, Milford, CT 06460-6005 - (203-)877-6096
4:30 PM Vigil Mass
Sunday Mass Schedule
Sunday 8:30 am
Sunday 11:00 am
Mondays 6-7 pm
March 17 St Ann
March 24 St Gabriel
March 31 St Ann
April 7 St Gabriel
April 14 St Ann
If you have a child to be baptized, please call the Business Office to register. A preparation class is required for parents.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation is on Saturday afternoon from 3:30 - 4 PM in the church.
Sacrament of the Sick Call Business Office
Marriage To be married at our Church, you must be in good standing with the Church. Call Business Office at least 6 months prior to any other arrangements.
Confirmation Call Business Office for information.
St Gabriel Mission became an independent parish, May 9, 1946 after serving the expanding Milford shoreline community since 1908. The roots of St. Gabriel Church go back to the first Roman Catholic Church of Milford - St Mary.
A large number of Roman Catholics arrived in Milford in 1848 with the employment of Irish workers to construct the railroad throughout the area. At this time priests came from St Mary Church in New Haven to celebrate Mass in the homes of the communicants. Reverend Edward J. O'Brien, of New Haven, recognized the need for a Milford Church as the congregation continued to grow. In 1850 a small parcel of land was purchased on Gulf Street near the present railroad bridge. Three years later, Milford had its first Roman Catholic Church - St Mary. For several years the Mission would be under the jurisdiction of St. James Church in Bridgeport and St. Mary in Derby.
In 1908, St. Gabriel Mission was started with Mass held in Union Chapel, a non-denominational Church at Wildemere Beach during the summer months. It was a mission of St. Mary, Milford which is now an independent parish. In 1910, a chapel was constructed at Andrews Avenue and Church Street at a cost of $4,750. This chapel, a wooden structure, was dedicated on August 21,1910.
The following year, new pews were added at a cost of $1,027 and four years later, an addition was built costing $1,080. The total cost of the structure, additions and furnishings was less the $6,000. In 1917 the property was valued at $12,000.
For the next several years Mass was celebrated from April to November to accommodate summer visitors to the shore. Walnut Beach, Wildemere Beach, Myrtle Beach, Laurel Beach and Cedar Beach made up a thriving summer community which included two movie theatres. The summer population continued to grow. The first chapel, was destroyed by fire caused by a faulty furnace on Sunday, February 25, 1923. The present Church was constructed at the corner of Laurel St and Broadway. It was later dedicated on August 26, 1923. The total cost was $47,000. The Church's unique architecture reflects the influence of a Spanish Mission Chapel. The interior was completed and the Church was rededicated on August 3, 1930 by Father John Anderson. In 1924 St. Gabriel Mission opened year round. At this time, St. Gabriel became associated with St. Ann Church on Naugatuck Avenue, Devon, CT. St. Gabriel continued as a Mission of St. Ann until 1946. St. Gabriel Church, no longer a mission, finally became able to support a Church due to the growing population in the West Shore area.
Clergy Who Served Across the Years
Photo courtesy of Mary Neschke
Interested in Serving the Church as Priest or Deacon
in Archdiocese of Hartford
Interested in serving the Church in Religious life?
As a Brother
As a Priest
Justice and Peace Resources
Mission Statement of St. Gabriel Church
St. Gabriel Parish of Milford, Connecticut is a Roman Catholic Community in the Archdiocese of Hartford. St. Gabriel is local expression of Church focused on the mission of Jesus Christ - that of the building of the kingdom through "kerygma" - the preaching and teaching of the Word; "koinonia" - the building of community; "diakonia" - the serving of others; and "eucharistia" - the worship and praise of God. Through the initiatives of Small Church Community, Parish Social Ministry and Stewardship, St. Gabriel strives to provide opportunities for spiritual growth, socialization, evangelizing outreach, faith formation and service for its parishioners of all age groups. The unique character of St. Gabriel is best exemplified by the pastoral care of families and individuals, through works of mercy and justice. As followers of our Lord Jesus Christ, the parish reflects its love of neighbor by promoting works of mercy on behalf of the poor and needy. Through ministry, St. Gabriel strives to exemplify acceptance, understanding, and concern for all people.